Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Triple Irish Meatloaf

What is it they say--everyone's Irish on St. Patrick's Day? For this meatloaf I channeled the spirit of my neighborhood. Sunnyside, Queens has a large Irish population. Around here, you don't have to look far to see adorable red-haired children, hear the delightful accents, and eat Irish classics.

The Triple Irish  Component:
1. I ground up Irish soda bread to use as my breadcrumbs. The subtle sweetness and spice added a nice flavor to the meat.

2. This was my take on the traditional Irish Shephard's Pie, which is ground meat covered with mashed potatoes and baked.

3. The shamrock. Duh.I liked shaping the 3-leaf clover--it was like making hearts!

Pesto topped it off and made the whole thing smell good--basil, garlic, cheese. What's not to love? The sauce was homemade, of course. After all, I'm not really Irish. I'm Italian, and we don't do jarred pesto.




Share

3 comments:

  1. Elyse! You're not loafin' around, this is your best yet. I'm adding a fourth leaf for good luck : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brilliant daughter of many talents-I love this! In fact...I'm green with envy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Two of my favorite things, soda bread and meat, together at least.

    ReplyDelete